Washington Street Realty is housed in a building that is commonly called The Haymarket Post Office, though its history extends far beyond mail.
The land the Haymarket Post Office sits on was purchased by George A. Hulfish in 1883, and the structure was erected in 1885 with a recorded tax assessment of $350.
It is believed that the building was used for both a business and residence until the early 1930s. Court records refer to the building as “the drug store property” in a 1932 deed. The drug store served as a social spot for all ages, selling ice cream, sodas, milkshakes, sandwiches, and sundries.
In 1945, the property was purchased and converted to the post office by Cary Smith. Mr. Smith served as the town’s Postmaster from 1933-1959. The building continued its use as the Haymarket Post Office until March 1980, when, after sale, it reverted to its historic business and residential uses.
In March 2000, the Town of Haymarket purchased the property from Alan C. Gossom. By 2005, much-needed repairs forced the Town to close the doors on the Haymarket Post Office.
In 2012, renovations began on the vacant building. The original foundation remains intact and has been secured and encased by an exterior wall. The metal roof was replaced, the front doors replicated, and, where possible, the clapboard siding was restored.
2013 began a new era for the building when Washington Street Realty decided that a former home and community gathering place was an ideal setting in which to help people find their new homes and communities. The doors have been reopened in the hopes of another century of history to fill these walls of what will always be known as The Haymarket Post Office.